Sunday Supper Series 2016-17
6th Annual Pig & Oyster Dinner, February
Sunday Supper Series continued at Oyster Club in February with a five course dinner featuring two of our most beloved ingredients: the pig and the oyster. Executive Chef James Wayman and our dear friends at the family owned Firefly Farm in North Stonington spoke about the locally sourced menu. Firefly owners Van Brown, Beth Tillman, and their son, Dugan illuminated the crowd about their special breed of Mulefoot pigs, the nutrient rich diet they thrive on, and how changing what they eat changed the lives of the pigs, and the quality of the pork that guests were enjoying. Of course the menu incorporated oysters from local waters, creatively complimenting our porcine co-star via oyster cream and salted oyster caramel.
- Ninigret oysters on the half shell with green cocktail sauce paired with Getariako Txakolina: Ameztoi 2015
- Kelp wrapped and slow roasted Mulefoot pork belly on house made oat and rye grass sourdough bread with creamed Noank oysters paired with Outer Light Brewery Oyster Stout, Groton, CT
- Wood fire smoked loin of Mulefoot pork over CT grain porridge with a sauce made from 'things the pigs eat' and mustard paired with Domaine du Murinais Crozes Hermitage Syrah 2014
- Smoky fire charred Chioggia beets with Bayley Hazen blue cheese, pork fat walnut butter, house made coffee vinegar syrup and bittercress paired with Antano 'Montelfalco Rosso' Sangiovese/Sagratino/Merlot 2014
- Dark chocolate pork fat ice cream with salted oyster caramel and cinnamon sugar crackling paired with Raventos i Blanc du Nit sparkling rosé
The Mysterious Mushroom, November
Sunday Supper Series continued at Oyster Club in November with a menu celebrating the mystery of mushrooms. Executive Chef James Wayman created a five course menu and spoke about his love of foraging for fungi. Guests Gerry Miller, nationally known mycologist and shaman spoke about foraging and eating wild mushrooms, and Chris Pachenco of Seacoast Mushrooms spoke about farming mushrooms locally in Pawcatuck, Connecticut.
- A rich broth of veal, Parmigiano reggiano and re-hydrated wild Hen of the Woods mushrooms with golden beets, spelt rigatoni, rosemary, and walnut oil
- Wild and farmed mushrooms persillade on house made shiitake mushroom sourdough with béarnaise
- CT rye berry and mushroom risotto with roasted Italian red garlic, whipped ricotta and sage
- Slow roasted leg of dry aged veal with with a sauce of fermented honey, mushrooms, red wine and butter, with charred sunchoke puree and pickled cabbage
- Brown butter creme brulee with mushroom sugar crust
Autumn Harvest, September
Sunday Supper Series 2016-17 kicked off al fresco, in the Treehouse at Oyster Club, in celebration of Oyster Club's fifth anniversary. Chefs James Wayman and Chris Vanasse prepared a five course menu over open fire, featuring the finest Autumn ingredients.
- Sugar maple smoked Noank oysters with fresh horseradish creamed corn
- Coal roasted Georgia Candy Roaster squash soup with charred green oak - vanilla creme fraiche and crispy oyster mushrooms
- Wood fire grilled swordfish bruschetta with tomato conserva, smoked bread, capers, lemon and extra virgin olive oil
- Dry aged organic Wild Harmony Farm pork sausage with Krimson Lee peppers, onions and garlic, braised with lentils and served with a fermented beer mustard
- Smoked caramel apple pie with rosemary sour cream